Productivity is successful completion of tasks and goals within stipulated durations. A project shouldn’t take too long to complete. Again, contractors shouldn’t experience burn out in the quest for productivity. Productive workforces with teams that can efficiently get things done is one aspect that human resource departments struggle with. An employee will measure the productivity of employees by evaluating each one’s input and output. These are either conducted quantitatively through tracking time and costs against a metric of results. Measuring productivity is important since it provides data to work with. Independent entrepreneurs and teams can easily understand the benefits of maximum productivity and work towards improving their efficiency.
The problem with most people is they won’t admit their shortcomings. And cheers to them as well. They will shy between conversations about productivity and curse productivity hacks. This is because there isn’t some fancy words to admit laziness. And even if its not laziness, who wants to admit they spent their entire day scrolling down Facebook pictures instead of coding. Over time, they realize their efficiency is wanting and query through google for a remedy to this. Fortunately, they find hundreds of thousands of blog posts like this one convincing them a remedy actually exists for their problem. Some of the techniques are new to them, others were randomly heard over youtube Ads but desperately skipped. Nonetheless, this time its serious business and these members of society find a technique or two. Read inadeptly about it and now be motivated more than ever to get things done and make plenty of dollars. A week or two into the productivity hack turns into a short bootcamp sprint. The excitement fades, the enthusiasm and focus begins to shrink. And just like that, these productive members of our society turn back to their old ways.
I dont want you to leave this blog post as you found it. I will walk you through how to get things done with the Pomodoro technique. The productivity hack with a funny name and an unusual ability to help you concentrate longer, avoid interruptions, lower stress levels and maintain high energy through your work day.
What is Pomodoro ?
Pomodoro is Italian for tomatoes. Wonder how millions of people, freelancers, workers and executives can swear by a mere tomato on the life-changing strength of a productivity trick?
Well, the pomodoro technique is a time management method that focuses on sustaining efficient work hours by reducing fatigue and making the best of your inner energy.
All these are made possible by dividing work/projects into short convenient tasks that you can complete in 25 minutes. So each session lasts 25 minutes and is referred to as a Pomodoro. After each successful pomodoro, you take a short break of 5 minutes. Once you complete at least 4 pomodoros, then take a longer break of at least 15 – 25 minutes.
Let me break it down further:
- Step 1: Pick a project and break it down into short convenient tasks.
- Step 2: Set your time into 25 minutes (Disclaimer: Never snooze your time to accomplish more after it rings).
- Step 3: Work on the task until the time is up. Work to achieve more within the 25 minutes window.
- Step 4: Take a 5 minutes break.
- Step 5: Repeat the process four times. After four pomodoros, take a long break of 15 – 20 minutes.
However, to adhere to the pomodoro technique in your quest to achieve more with less. It is important to strictly follow the following guidelines.
- complex projects are to be divided into actionable steps. Where a task is big and requires more than four pomodoro sessions, divide it and track your progress through the project.
- Blend in smaller tasks. Tasks that consume less than one pomodoro session are to be combined with others. You could achieve so much with one session that is free of disruptions. So put the smaller ones together such as responding to an email, setting up ads and reading an article.
- The Pomodoro timer must ring once it is set. Note that the pomodoro session is indivisible and should never be broken down for tasks such as incoming calls, team chats or texts. Any in between ideas, requests or tasks are noted and you can get back to them later.
Besides being the most efficient productivity hack, Pomodoro Technique is favourable for the following situations:
- Avoiding disruptions
- Creating actionable to-do lists
- Achieve more even beyond optimum productivity.
- Reduce fatigue and burnout
- Where there are high amounts of open-end tasks that could take huge amounts of time such as research or studying.
- Where you are enthusiastic about getting things done in a short duration of time.
- Where you enjoy a gamified setting of goals.
Are you finding it hard to get things done? Worry no more. Pomzen is a reliable and secure platform for teams and solo entrepreneurs that want to achieve efficiency. Pomzen provides a customizable Pomodoro timer that works on both mobile and desktop browsers. Enroll today and become a productive member of society.